Sunday, January 18, 2009

Time to get Roses Ready

It seems as though I was a little late this year. Last year I did not have to trim them until Feb. But with the warm weather this January, I was about a week late. However, it is not too late to get it done.

Here is what I do.

-Find the last leaf of 5 that has a bud on it and cut, straight across, right above the bud.
-After you cut then use a dab of glue (I use wood glue because it is waterproof) and put it on the cut.
-Then strip off all the leaves that are left on the stem.

You will not want to fertilize them until April. I only water them this time of year when the soil is dry. As for photosynthesis taking place, it is. There is chlorophyll in the stems. If they are green, there is chlorophyll.

Also, it is time to start to prepare for our next planting. I was mistaken, I should not have done my tomatoes. And it shows. I will be trying again. I am also wanting to try carrots. They are a little tricky because the soil needs to be rock free. Watermelon, Cantaloupe, Summer Squash, Corn, Cucumbers, are all to be planted in Feb and March.

No comments: