Wednesday, January 28, 2009

More Containers!

I have started my carrots and potatoes! I am trying both. Well the carrots, again.

With carrots, you have to have rock free soil. Not going to spend hours taking rocks out so I tried something else. Cut the tops off of lots of .5 liter bottles, drilled a hole in them then super glued them together. Zane and I then filled them with soil and planted the carrot seeds. We will see how this one does.


We also planted our potato. This is a first and we will see how it goes. To plant a potato cut around four eyes and take the rest of the skin off. Place it in a paper bag and let a "scab" form, will take about 2 to 4 days. Plant in a large container and cover with 1 inch of soil. After the leaves start to emerge, cover with another inch of soil. When it looks like the plant is dead, it is time to harvest the potatoes!

No comments: