Monday, November 10, 2008

My Desire!

My desire for this blog is to give helpful and useful tips for gardening in the Desert Southwest. Some of the ideas will be from trial and error and others from books, web sites and other gardeners.

Some of the problems that I have already come across is the growing season here, what to grow and when to grow it. The other is lack of space. Finally, is just getting the soil ready. I just LOVE clay soil.

Having been raised in the Denver metro area, the growing season was very obvious. Plant when the frost is over and harvest when the frost comes. Well here in Arizona (specifically Mesa) there is rarely a freeze and we are HOT, dry and HOT. This makes it difficult to want to be outside in the traditional growing season, let alone garden. Leading me to garden mainly in the late fall, winter and early spring. However, I would like that to change. So that is my hope, to learn as I go and for others to learn from my mistakes and successes.

I have a wonderful three year old boy that will be helping me garden. I also have a 10 month old who is watching us garden while in the arms of Jesus. Part of my garden is my memorial garden to him. Along with an apple tree. To learn more about our family please visit here.

Happy Gardening. Hope your harvest is plentiful and marvelous.